Edson Barboza at 40: four straight losses, two KOs in eight months
Edson Barboza after UFC 330: 33 UFC fights, four straight losses, 1,855 significant strikes absorbed and nine knockdowns endured before Esteban Ribovics.
On Saturday night in Philadelphia, Esteban Ribovics opened the UFC 330 main card by stopping Edson Barboza at 1:32 of the second round. Herb Dean waved it off. Barboza was 40 years and six months old, and it was the second time in eight months that somebody had knocked him out.
The numbers on that fight are not the numbers of a puncher's-chance upset. Ribovics landed 63 significant strikes to Barboza's 30 and 41 of them to the head against Barboza's 13. Round one was already 41 to 24. Round two was 22 to 6 before the stoppage.
Barboza's UFC career now reads 33 fights and 18-15 since November 21, 2010, when he knocked out Mike Lullo in the third round of his debut. Only Jim Miller (47), Andrei Arlovski (42), Neil Magny and Donald Cerrone (38 each), Charles Oliveira and Clay Guida (37 each) and two others have appeared more often. He is tied on 33 with Demian Maia and Max Holloway. That is the good news and it is also the bill.
The skid, in order
The four-fight losing streak he is on is the longest of his career:
| Date | Opponent | Result | Age |
|---|---|---|---|
| May 18, 2024 | Lerone Murphy | L, unanimous decision (5 rds) | 38.3 |
| Aug 16, 2025 | Drakkar Klose | L, unanimous decision | 39.5 |
| Dec 6, 2025 | Jalin Turner | L, KO/TKO, round 1, 2:24 | 39.8 |
| Aug 15, 2026 | Esteban Ribovics | L, KO/TKO, round 2, 1:32 | 40.5 |
Before this he had never lost more than three in a row, and the last time he lost three (Justin Gaethje by knockout, Paul Felder by split decision, Dan Ige by split decision, 2019 into 2020) he came back and beat Makwan Amirkhani and then took out Shane Burgos.
The shape of the current run is different. Two of the four are stoppages by strikes, and both stoppages happened after his 39th birthday. Across his whole UFC career the ledger of what he has taken looks like this: 1,855 significant strikes absorbed, 1,343 of them to the head, nine knockdowns endured, six losses by strikes if you count the doctor's stoppage against Kevin Lee in 2018.
Photo: MMAnytt / CC BY 3.0What our own ledger says was going to happen
Ten days ago we published an analysis of 16,429 UFC appearances that tried to separate the things people blame for a fighter's decline. The finding was blunt: age and knockdowns endured predict the fall. Career strikes absorbed does not, and cage mileage barely moves the needle.
Here is the age curve from that ledger, every UFC appearance since 2005 that reached a verdict:
| Age at fight | Appearances | Win rate | Lost by KO/TKO |
|---|---|---|---|
| Under 30 | 7,692 | 54.5% | 12.7% |
| 30 to 33 | 5,458 | 49.3% | 16.2% |
| 34 to 36 | 2,259 | 42.7% | 21.4% |
| 37 to 39 | 804 | 38.9% | 23.5% |
| 40 and over | 264 | 33.0% | 27.7% |
There is no plateau in that column. Every band is worse than the one before it, and past 40 more than a quarter of all appearances end with the fighter being knocked out. Barboza has now supplied two of those 264 data points himself.
The knockdown half is the part that reads like a warning that was already written. In the same ledger, fighters entering a bout with no knockdowns endured lost by knockout 13.9 percent of the time. At five or more prior knockdowns endured it was 25.3 percent. Fighters aged 30 or older who had been knocked out within the previous year lost by knockout 23.4 percent of the time in their next fight, and three years later the number was still elevated at 19.4 percent against 16.0 percent for those who had never been stopped.
Barboza walked into Saturday at 40 with nine knockdowns endured, five knockout losses, and a knockout defeat eight months old. Every input the data says matters was flashing.
The market saw it. Barboza closed at +540 as the median of 25 sportsbooks. Our model gave Ribovics 72.4 percent, which was actually the softer read of the two.
The part that is not Barboza's fault
Nobody made him take the fight, and I am not going to pretend a 40-year-old professional prizefighter is a passive object. He is 18-15 inside the Octagon, he has been paid for 33 nights of it, and he knocked out Terry Etim in the third round in January 2012, which is more than most careers manage.
But look at what got put in front of him after December. Ribovics is 30 years old, 5-3 in the UFC, and lands 7.43 significant strikes per minute, the sixth-highest rate among the 580 lightweights in our career-stats table, where the average is 2.96. He is exactly the profile the ledger says is most dangerous to a fighter with Barboza's history: young, fast, and constant. The assignment before that was Jalin Turner, a 6-foot-3 finisher who needed 2:24. The one before that was Lerone Murphy over five rounds while Murphy was unbeaten.
Photo: MMAnytt / CC BY 3.0Turner, incidentally, needed 39 seconds to knock out Kaue Fernandes on the same card Saturday. He is 31 and he looks reborn. That is what the other side of this trade looks like: the promotion gets a highlight for a rising lightweight, and the cost is charged to a 40-year-old's medical file.
There is no mechanism inside the sport that weighs any of this. A knockout buys a fighter a medical suspension measured in days, and when the days are up the counter goes back to zero. Nobody is asked how many times this particular head has been switched off, or how recently. Our own data says that is the single most predictive thing you could ask.
I am not calling for anyone to be retired against their will. Fighters get one career and they are the ones who own it. But a licensing process that treats a 40-year-old on a four-fight skid with five knockout losses exactly as it treats a 27-year-old debutant is not protecting anybody, and a matchmaking department that answers a knockout loss with a higher-volume striker is not either.
What happens now
Barboza has not said anything about retirement, and there is no reason to put words in his mouth. He is contracted, he is a gate attraction in Brazil, and the UFC has never had trouble finding a lightweight who wants the Barboza name on his record.
The next time it happens, nobody will be able to say the numbers were not there.